- The third annual Healthy Community awards, sponsored by Good Samaritan Hospital of Kearney, Nebraska, recognize local individuals, businesses and organizations for their contributions toward making Central Nebraska a healthy place to live.
Continuous efforts from individuals and groups throughout the Kearney and Buffalo County community are necessary to sustain the health of Central Nebraska. The Healthy Community Awards program provides a unique opportunity to celebrate the contributions of those who, through their leadership, education and assistance, help make the community a healthier place to live. Local individuals, businesses and organizations are eligible to win the awards and selected from nominations.
The Healthy Community Awards program signals an overall commitment and dedication to improving the lives and health of residents within the Kearney community. Contributions from individuals, non-profit organizations and healthcare providers throughout community are significant in the continued efforts to encourage healthy living among residents and provide a higher quality of life.
A community advisory group selects Healthy Community Award recipients based on their contributions in a particular category. In addition to the Healthy Community Partnership Award, five other award categories exist. The remaining categories are:
• Recreation - Mike Koski, Kearney Little League
• Prevention - Nickole Michalski, Just For Kix-Shelton
• Advocacy - Scott Hayden, Kearney Park & Recreation
• Education - Dr. Charles Bicak, University of Nebraska at Kearney
• Partnership - Rodgers Helicopter Service
• Leadership - Dr. Ken Shaffer, Kearney Clinic
The Healthy Community Awards will be presented on June 15, 2012, at a luncheon at the Holiday Inn. The luncheon is sponsored by Sentinel Healthcare.